DC Champagne Week - An Effervescent Affair
"Come quickly, I am tasting the stars!" - Dom Perignon
Calling all bubbly enthusiasts! From November 6-12, corks will be popping in the nation's capital. Founders, Alison Marriott of Bon Vivant DC and Jess Milby of Young Winos of DC, who both share an affinity for wine, will be hosting several events for consumers, trade and media to fête the symbol of luxury - champagne.
Typically, when people think of bubbles, Veuve Cliquot immediately comes to mind, but there are many other prominent champagne houses that you will want to get acquainted with, and this week will be dedicated to exactly that. Through a host of some of DC's well-known venues, you will be introduced to a diverse group of grandes marques including Pol Roger, Gosset, Pierre Paillard, AR Lenoble, Heucq Père & Fils, Charles Heidseck, Canard-Duchêne, J. de Telmont, Domaine La Borderie, Marc Hebrart, Pierre Gimonet & Fils and selections from the Terry Theise portfolio. So why DC? Marriott astutely observes "any district dweller knows that this town isn't only about politics - there's level of sophistication among wine consumers that can only be matched by the caché of champagne."
Without further ado, here's a list of the champagne-filled events that you will want savor and immediately add to your calendar. As Milby states " in bringing Champagne Week to DC, I look forward to bringing people together in a social and educational capacity around such an iconic wine."
- Proof will feature a special DC Champagne week menu, including flights, all week. On Sunday, a custom menu will be unveiled.
- Ten champagne producers will showcase three cuvées at DAR.
- Afternoon admittance will be limited to industry and press by invite only.
- VIP consumer hour will precede the main event.
- Event tasting for champagne enthusiasts and collectors will follow the VIP hour.
- Book signing featuring David White, author of But First, Champagne.
- Seven-course tasting menu by Ripple Executive Chef Marjorie Meek-Bradley and Chef de Cuisine Sam Molavi will feature local, seasonal ingredients.
- Each course will be paired with a specific champagne.
- Carl Edmund Sherman, a leading industry expert, will teach a class that focuses on the role of terroir in the champagne region. This course will feature 4 producers.
So I say, don't miss out on this special week that encourages you to learn about and sip the nectar of gods. And if you want to showcase your love for champagne, be sure to check out these extremely chic t-shirts.
* SANTÉ! * CHEERS! *